corpus-paul - Re: 2 Cor 6.14-7.1/1 Cor 7

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Doug Jantz <dwjantz AT swbell.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 2 Cor 6.14-7.1/1 Cor 7
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:46:14 +0000

Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

> Dear Doug,
> The difference between 2 Cor 6:14 and 1 Cor 7:12-15 is that the former
> text forbids one to undertake a union with unbelievers, while in the latter
> a union of marriage already exists.

I disagree, I think, if I am understanding what you are saying. The text of
2Cor 6
indicates situations already existing when written, else how could they be
instructed
later in the text to "come out from among them"?

> In 1 Cor 7:39 Paul does advise a widow
> to marry only a believer if she remarries.

I am not convinced of this. The last phrase in 7.39 which begins with "only"
is an
adverbial phrase, indicating the manner in which the widow was to remarry,
not whom.
I can be corrected if I am wrong. So I am not really sure what is meant.
ONLY has to
modify HOW, not WHOM. And why would only the widow have to remarry a
believer?

> 1 Corinthians 7:12-15 may
> address, for the most part, marriages where one spouse became a believer
> while the other remained an unbeliever. Paul counsels the believer not to
> dissolve the marriage on this ground, even though in the OT that was the
> practice in Ezra and Nehemiah. The situation differs from the OT in that
> Christians are not born Christians, whereas Jews were born Jews. God had
> given Jews rules about whom to marry.

I agree here.

Doug

Douglas Jantz
1304 E. Republic Rd. #180 Springfield, Missouri 65804
USA
dwjantz AT swbell.net
Religious Studies Program
Southwest Missouri State University