corpus-paul - Re: 2 Cor 6:14-7:1 in its context

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT intergate.bc.ca>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 2 Cor 6:14-7:1 in its context
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:49:31 -0700

John Hurd wrote:
>In my "Origin of 1 Corinthians" I gave some (to me cogent) reasons for
>supposing that 2 Cor. 6:14--7:1 is a fragment of the letter mentioned in
>1 Cor. 5:9-11. It fits into the conversation between Paul and the
>Corinthians leading up to the writing of 1 Corinthians. Since the book
>was about 1 Corinthians, the 2 Corinthians people may have missed the
>discussion. Anyhow, I have not seen much discussion of these proposals.

John, in your book you give some good reasons for believing that the
'former letter' made the same points that are made in 2 Cor 6.14-7.1.
However, that does not require us to extract 6.14-7.1 from its present
location and identify it as a part of the former letter. Your observations
are equally supportive of the view that at 6.14-7.1 Paul is simply
repeating some of the things that he had said in the former letter. In my
last e-mail I argued that the present location of 6.14-7.1 is the very spot
where we would most expect Paul to re-visit the issues of the former
letter. Appealing to a fragment hypothesis here seems unnecessary.

Could you explain what advantages your reconstruction has over mine?

Richard Fellows
Vancouver