corpus-paul - 2 Cor 6.14-7.1 in its context

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT intergate.bc.ca>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 2 Cor 6.14-7.1 in its context
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 15:30:29 -0700

In 2 Cor 6.14 Paul suddenly embarks on a discussion of sexual ethics and
the relationship between the believing and non-believing world. But this
is not the first time that he does this - he does the same in 1 Cor 5.1-13.
In both cases the issue of sexual immorality follows a tribulation list (1
Cor 4.9-13; 2 Cor 6.4-10), and in both cases he appeals to them as his
children (1 Cor 4.14; 2 Cor 6.13). Also, "I am not writing this to make
you ashamed" (1 Cor 4.14) parallels "I do not say this to condemn you" (2
Cor 7.3). Furthermore, the issue of Paul's integrity appears at 1 Cor
4.1-5 as well as at 2 Cor 7.2.

My suggestion is that these two passages (1 Cor 4&5 and 2 Cor 6.3-7.4) have
a common historical background. This suggestion is buttressed by 2 Cor
1.12-14, which probably refers to the 'former letter' of 1 Cor 5.9. In 1
Cor 5.9-10 Paul tells the Corinthians what he had written in the 'former
letter', in contradiction to their own understanding of it. It would appear
that the CorinthiansÂ’ response to 1 Cor 5.9-10 was to protest that Paul had
not made his meaning clear in the former letter. 2 Cor 1.13 is PaulÂ’s
reply to that protest, as has been persuasively argued by Zahn. So, 2 Cor
1.12-14 shows that the quarrel that had arisen over the 'former letter' had
probably not been resolved when Paul wrote 2 Cor 1-9. It is therefore
quite likely that 2 Cor 6.14-7.1 does indeed concern the issue of the
'former letter', and this seems to be confirmed by the parallels that exist
between 2 Cor 1.12-14 and 2 Cor 6.11-7.4.

What then is the common historical background to 1 Cor 4&5, and 2 Cor
6.3-7.4, and how does it explain the connection between the sexual
immorality issue and the other parts of the passages? With the tribulation
lists Paul asserts his apostolic credentials, but how does that concern the
subject of sexual immorality and the 'former letter'? The answer, I think,
can be found in 2 Cor 10-13 (which I have argued was written before 1
Corinthians). From 2 Cor 10.1-11 we gather that the Corinthians had
questioned Paul's authority because of what he had written previously.
Now, it seems likely that in 2 Cor 10.8-11 Paul is referring mainly to the
'former letter' of 1 Cor 5.9, so the challenge to his authority seems to
have stemmed, at lest in part, from his handling of the sexual immorality
issue in the former letter. This, then, explains why in both 1 Cor 4&5,
and 2 Cor 6.3-7.4 he moves seamlessly from a re-assertion of his authority
to a discussion of sexual immorality.

Any thoughts, anyone? I have a feeling that these arguments could be
refined, so I would welcome feedback. If this explanation for 2 Cor
6.14-7.1 works, then it will add weight to the Titus-Timothy hypothesis and
the reconstruction that flows from it.

Richard Fellows
Vancouver