corpus-paul - Re: Goulder's Two Mission Hypothesis

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Ron Price" <ron.price AT virgin.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Goulder's Two Mission Hypothesis
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 12:11:02 +0100

Robert Brenchley wrote:

>Surely there were more than two
>groups involved; Matthew thinks a lot of Peter, takes a very unPauline view
>of the Law, but certainly isn't a follower of James, so where does he fit
>in. Was there a Peter group as well as a James group?

Robert,
If I may step in here, I agree with Goulder that these were not
separate groups. After all, when the crunch came, Peter submitted to the
authority of the leader of the Christian Jews in Jerusalem, i.e. James
(Gal 2:12).

There is a tenuous connection between Matthew and James in the
similarities between the Sermon on the Mount and the Epistle of James.
Also GTh contains a tradition that James was known as "James the Just"
(DIKAIOS?) which may be related to the Matthean emphasis on
righteousness.

Thus Matthew appears to have some affinity with James as well as with
Peter.
However Matthew accepts Mark's ranking of Peter ahead of James.

Ron Price

Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

e-mail: ron.price AT virgin.net