corpus-paul - RE: WAS Re: Romans 10:1-4, NOW: Paul's use of scripture

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: WAS Re: Romans 10:1-4, NOW: Paul's use of scripture
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:05:59 -0500

Dear Alex,
Thank you for that word of explanation. The "twisting" of Scripture
usually implies something negative. I agree with you that Paul speaks of
the "seed" of Abraham in Gal 3:16 in light of the clarifying revelation
that He has from God. Just this evening, after studying biblical narrative
with a friend who is an OT scholar, the subject came up. He has some
reservations about the way that Paul uses the OT. You are right that we
must trust Paul's God-given authority in the treatment which the OT
receives from him. And we must carefully differentiate between the many
possible ways that NT authors can cite the OT or allude to it: well-known
wording, type, parallel, words suitable to express an idea, fulfillment of
prophecy, and so forth.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard