corpus-paul - Re: Unconvinced of Pseudonymity

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Daniel P. Bailey" <DanPBailey AT aol.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: Unconvinced of Pseudonymity
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:19:25

On 04/27/99, "kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu (Robert Kraft)" wrote:

> If time permits, now that classes are over, I may try to argue that a Paul
> of the type responsible for the Pastorals also wrote "3 Corinthians" (for
> a text, see my web page, Paul course, texts) -- in hopes that some
> methodological consistency can be introduced into the discussion!

I know that the above message is almost a year old and I suspect that the
corpus-paul discussion has now moved on (...why was I spending a Sunday
afternoon reading these archives? you might ask). But Dr. Kraft's
interesting idea of comparing the Pastorals and 3 Corinthians to shed light
on questions of authorship has recently been pursued in a paper presented
to the Paul group of the Midwest Regional Meeting of the SBL, on Tuesday 15
February 2000 at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago. The author was
Peter Dunn of Toronto (Ph.D. Cantab.). Peter showed that the heresies in
view in 3 Corinthians seem to reflect a later time (ca. 120-145 CE) than
those reflected in the Pastorals. Many in the audience seemed to think that
Peter had made a good case for dating the Pastorals around 100 CE. However,
Peter's own feeling that they might have been even earlier (perhaps even
reflective of a situation not far removed from Paul's own lifetime) seemed
to encounter a lot of scepticism.

In any case, I'm sure Peter would welcome correspondence on the topic.
Email:
<pwdunn AT ilap.com>.

Sincerely,

Dan Bailey

Daniel P. Bailey
(Ph.D. Cantab.)
6977 N. Bethmaur Lane
Milwaukee, WI 53209
<DanPBailey AT aol.com>

  • Re: Unconvinced of Pseudonymity, Daniel P. Bailey, 02/20/2000