corpus-paul - Re: dying for one's country

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Elli Elliott" <ellielliott AT email.msn.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dying for one's country
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 13:11:06 -0700

Jeffrey,
Have you already looked at commentaries on John 15:12? I remember finding
quite a lot of background material a few years back when I was working on
the slave-friend contrast in 15:15. I don't have access to TDNT right now,
but I seem to remember that there was a list of references there under
FILOS. There is quite a literature on giving up one's life for one's
friends, and of course the literature on friendship has burgeoned recently.
Some of it may point toward the construction you seek -- or at least
parallels which are, of course, lines that never intersect.

Happy hunting!

Elli