corpus-paul - RE: Roman churches

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bob MacDonald" <bobmacdonald AT home.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Roman churches
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:25:38 -0800

>>Does anyone has a sense of where Paul's letter to the churches in Rome
would have been read? <<

Is it possible that the letter would have been read in a synagogue (or again
more than one synagogue)? This is the sense I have had of it these past few
years.

1. The address is to 'all God's beloved in Rome' - ie not to a 'church'.
2. After the expulsion of Jews by Claudius in 49 and their regathering a few
years later c55, is it possible that 2 years later, the schism between
Christians and Jews was still not implemented in Rome?
3. The references to house churche at Prisca and Aquila's seems to imply
that though they worship separately some of the time, that they are not
unknown to those of Israel who meet together in Rome.

Bob

BobMacDonald AT home.com
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +
Catch the foxes for us,