corpus-paul - Re: Roman churches

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Roman churches
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 12:48:05 -0800

Jim West wrote:

> I think the letter arrived and was copied swiftly for the various house
> churches. the scrambled nature of the text at the end makes this fairly
> evident. Further, it shows that various churches received various
> greetings.

Jim, I resonate with the possibility that the letter might have been copied
and circulated, but I have two small reservations about that: (a) the cost
associated with that enterprise; and (b) the diminished role of the letter
carrier as interpreter of Paul. It seems highly likely to me that the
letter was read out loud to its recipients and that emissaries from Paul
would have to do that.
Jim Hester "Never be afraid to try something new.
736 Buckingham Drive Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Redlands, CA 92374 Professionals built the Titanic."
(909) 792-0533
hester AT uor.edu http://rhetjournal.uor.edu