corpus-paul - Re: The Roman Congregation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <DHindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: corpus-paul
  • Subject: Re: The Roman Congregation
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:22:35

Jon Peter wrote in response to my request for a citation:

>>Happy to oblige. A Pliny compendium is online. See links below. Book 10
letter 96 has Pliny's letter to Trajan detailing methods in use for
mistreating Christians --

http://vroma.rhodes.edu/~hwalker/Pliny/Pliny10-096-E.html

Letter 97 gives Trajan's approving reply, "Yes, Christians must be
punished
unless they denounce Christ." [et Christo maledixerunt, letter 96]

http://vroma.rhodes.edu/~hwalker/Pliny/Pliny10-097-E.html<<

Yes, this I knew about. BTW, thanks for the web link, as *that* I did *not*
know about.

However, the statement of yours that led me to ask was this:

>>Finally, the fact that Trajan in ca. 100 would ask an academic to find
out "just who this Christus fella is anyway" shows the irrepressible
social
impact the sect was having.<<

This suggested a different situation than that of a Roman Governor having
to investigate Christians for the first time and seeking advice from the
Emperor since he (Younger Pliny) has only anectdotal knowledge of them.

Instead, you had stated that the Emperor sought advice from an academic to
determine who Christ was. The letters of Pliny you cited above have nothing
to do with that kind of scenario. Were you thinking of something else?

Regards,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA