corpus-paul - Re: The Roman Congregation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT csi.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Roman Congregation
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:36:29 -0400

Jon,

You said:

>>Finally, the fact that Trajan in ca. 100 would ask an academic to find out
"just who this Christus fella is anyway" shows the irrepressible social
impact the sect was having.<<

I have heard this before, and it actually came up in a conversation I was
having recently with a Karaite Jew. However, search as hard as we may, we
could not locate the reference for this. If I understand it rightly, Trajan
asks the then current governor of Judea to research rumors about a man who is
about to usher in a messianic kingdom, and bring him to him if he could be
found. This is apparently NOT related to any Toledoth or Talmud stories, or
the various Acts of Pilate, or the Agbar legends, etc.

Would you be so kind as to provide a reference? Is it in some way connected
with the letters of Trajan that included the letters from and to Pliny the
Younger? If so, I have to imagine it is considered spurious, or it would come
up in the lists of early citations (especially since the letter of Pliny and
Trajan's reply do get cited).

I searched the Perseus site for some sort of clue, but it returned only the
following:

Trajan
[Following from indices to Apollodorus, Herodotus, and Pausanias.]

emperor, bestows freedom on Mothone: Paus. 4.35.3
conquers Getae: Paus. 5.12.6
makes war on Parthians: Paus. 5.12.6
his baths, theater, race-course and forum at Rome: Paus. 5.12.6
his statue at Olympia: Paus. 5.12.6

Obviously this will not help. Can you?

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA