corpus-paul - Re: Maimonides' static God (off topic?)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Mike Myers <mmyers AT helium.biomol.uci.edu>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Maimonides' static God (off topic?)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:02:09 -0800

My concern was that the discussion was becoming focused more on what
Maimonides had to say than on what Paul believed. Maimonides beliefs
are interesting, but this is not the forum to discuss them since
they are not really indicative of what Jews in the first century
believed.

Yours,

Jeffrey

Yes, I see your point Jeffrey. I changed the subject line for this
tangent, and maybe that was inappropriate. But I do think that
intellectual history has trajectories, and that these often become
crystallized and palpable in the thoughts of seminal luminaries.
Certainly Rambam's medieval attempt to synthesize Aristotle with the
HB represents, if not instigates, a huge paradigm shift in Judaism,
as Liz pointed out. But did it have inchoate (or more well-formed)
antecedents in 1 and 2 CE? If so, could this have been a factor in
Paul reception by some of his opponents?

So a question perhaps more clearly relevant to Paul is this: Is the
conception of a static God, taught by Rambam, a view rooted in the
thinking of influential Jews in 1 and 2 CE who opposed Paul? Does a
static, "timeless" revelation, interpretation and cultus follow?
Honestly, I can't think of many things more germane, on lots of
fronts.

Mike

Michael D. A. Myers
University of California, Irvine