corpus-paul - Re: Maimonides' static God (off topic?)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Maimonides' static God (off topic?)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 15:51:15 -0500

Mike Myers wrote:

> This issue came up in the context of the Galatians 2:17 thread. The
> question couldn't be more central to an understanding of Paul's
> thought: Is God's revelation static? Is He static? Is the Law, or
> parts of it anyway, something destined to come to a conclusion in
> history, as Paul and the author of Hebrews claim? Or is it eternal,
> timeless, unchanging?
>
> How is this irrelevant?

Phrased like this it isn't. But this isn't how the topic was being phrased.

My concern was that the discussion was becoming focused more on what
Maimonides had to
say than on what Paul believed. Maimonides beliefs are interesting, but this
is not
the forum to discuss them since they are not really indicative of what Jews
in the
first century believed.

Yours,

Jeffrey