corpus-paul - Re: Rom 7, Pauline eschatology, and other questions

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Christopher Hutson <crhutson AT salisbury.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Rom 7, Pauline eschatology, and other questions
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:17:28 EDT

>From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>

>I guess, then, what I am asking List Members to comment upon are the
questions
>of (a) how much Pauline eschatology is rooted in and mirrors Jesus',
(b) how
>much the crisis language of Paul is a reflection of Jesus own sense
of political
>reality, and (c) how much of Jesus' own sense of what might lead to
Israel's
>doom informs Paul's missionary activity. I want to make the case that
Paul's
>eschatology is that of Jesus as Caird, Wright, and Borg have
outlined what
>Jesus' was. Or in other words, I want to argue for a non-apocalyptic
>eschatological Paul, and to explore the 1st cent. Palestinian
conflict with Rome
>brought on by the "politics of Holiness" as the context of Paul's
view of the
>Law, Sin, and his "doctrine" of Justification. I have the feeling
that such an
>exploration would have ramifications, too, for the PISTIS XRISTOU
debate.

Jeffrey,

This is an interesting set of questions, but I am confused by your
intent "to argue for a non-apocalyptic eschatological Paul." What in
the world would that be? What sort of eschatology do you envision
that would not be apocalyptic? It seems to me that the whole notion
of TA ESXATA is an apocalyptic notion. So if you want to argue that
Paul's theology is not apocalyptic, wouldn't you also need to argue
that it is likewise not eschatological? How do you separate these two
ideas?

Confused,

XPIC

Christopher R. Hutson