corpus-paul - Re: Rom 7, Pauline eschatology, and other questions

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT mail.ics.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Rom 7, Pauline eschatology, and other questions
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:15:09 -0700

At 6:48 PM -0600 3/29/99, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote (edited):
>I am at the preliminary stages of writing an article on the context
>of the theology of Romans - more specifically on the idea that Rom. 7 and
>the discussion of the "wretched I" within that chapter have to do with
>Paul expounding upon how the tradition of Zeal which he was following before
>his "call" warped his idea of obedience to God and led him not so much
>to experience death as to deal it out to others.

I would suggest checking this interpretation against Stanley Stowers's
exegesis of Rom 7 in his _Rereading of Romans_. Stowers reads the chapter
in light of the Hellenistic Roman pursuit of self-mastery (EGKRATEIA, a
term not unknown to Paul) and the use of dialogue with an imaginary
interlocutor found throughout Romans. The latter shows up most clearly in
the context of chap. 7 at 8:2, in the _lectio difficilior_ SE, from which
Stowers argues that the "I" in 7:7-25 is an imagined gentile hearer of
Paul's Gospel and not Paul himself, either before or after his call to the
apostolate.

Wonderful to see the list up -- love the name!

Jeff

Jeffrey Peterson
Institute for Christian Studies
Austin, Texas, USA