compostteas - [Compostteas] B D Preps

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Scott Alexander" <daylily AT bigpond.com>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] B D Preps
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 14:47:12 +1000

In my latest brew, the DO was down to 3 this morning which means something
must be happening - even in my cold water. I wish I had the $$$ and a SFI
Lab just down the road to check out the microbe numbers. I also wish I'd
never heard of a DO meter - now it controls my life. Even my wife knows
something is "wrong" now (I'm forbidden to talk about CT's anymore!).

I just received my Newsleaf (the Journal of the Biodynamic Assn in
Australia) and found some fascinating stuff in the research articles about
Soil Food Web and Biodynamic studies in India. There is a Table showing
which Biodynmaic Preps have bacteria and fungal numbers in them:
Table 1. Microbial population in different composts.
http://www.icrisat.org/text/research/nrmp/researchbriefs/rup1.asp

This may be of interest to some of us who are trying to make great tea. The
microbe counts are not done the way SFI do it but it might be a guide. The
above Assn recently had Prep 500 tested by SFI and it showed high levels of
bacteria and fungi. The above research by Acrisat showed no fungi in the BD
500.

Scott

PS
In the daylily email group I belong to someone posted this recipe (for
disaster). It is called the Hooker Formula and I know there are many amongst
the daylily fanatics who follow it! I've got really itchy fingers but will
not write anything until someone else in the daylily group responds to it.
This is part of it:-

"For 15 years I have grown more than 500 plants, roses, and daylilies, and
recently it has been more than 800 plants. Therefore, I need an efficient
and
orderly fertilizing system to keep the time and labor down to a reasonable
figure, and at the same time, add the desired amounts of material to each
plant.

Fertilizing Method

Make up 5 gallons of stock solution:

1-2lb. coffee can of Peter's 15-30-15
1-2lb. coffee can fish emulsion
1-6oz. can Epsom Salts - Magnesium Sulfate
1-8oz. can Cygon
1 ounce Sequestrene - Iron Chelate

These materials are all water soluble. Water is added to the 5 gallon mark
while stirring. One 12 oz. can of stock solution contains the desired amount
of each ingredient for 1 large rose bush or 1 daylily clump. For miniature
roses or a small 1 - 2 fan daylily clump, I use a 6oz. can of stock
solution.
The 5 gallons (640 liquid oz.) is enough for 53 plants (12 oz. can each) or
106 plants (6oz. can each).

Note: I do NOT, repeat, do NOT apply the stock solution to the plants.

  • [Compostteas] B D Preps, Scott Alexander, 07/28/2002