compostteas - [Compostteas] Fungal Weedicide

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: Graeme Gerrard <ggerrard AT resonant.com.au>
  • To: compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Fungal Weedicide
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:37:46 +1000

Hi All,
Where I live Kikuyu (maybe it is called quackgrass or crabgrass in North America) was introduced about a 120 years ago and now dominates the entire region (this is dairy country). Conventional farmers use Roundup by the gallon - often spraying 100 acre paddocks to kill the kikuyu before resowing with other pasture grasses. This practise must be carried out every few years because the kikuyu simply reinfests the pasture.

I have read that kikuyu is killed by a fungus called kikuyu yellows (Verrucalvas flavofaciens), which apparently is spread by water borne spores. So, my question is, would it be possible to brew this fungus in a CT and spray it on kikuyu as a kind of weedicide in place of Roundup? Apparently V. flavofaciens is specific to kikuyu.
Has anybody here tried this or could offer info or suggestions.
TIA
--
Graeme Gerrard
ggerrard AT resonant.com.au

  • [Compostteas] Fungal Weedicide, Graeme Gerrard, 07/28/2002