compostteas - [Compostteas] Another Microbe brew

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: "Scott Alexander" <daylily AT bigpond.com>
  • To: <compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Another Microbe brew
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:59:37 +1000

Yesterday sprayed 70 trillion (give or take a few trillion if you believe
the promo) over a half acre of new cultivation into which aprox 50000
daylily crowns will be planted during the next 3 months. I have used the
product Nutri-life 4/20 microbes for about 5 years and believe that one of
the reasons my plants "take off" once they are planted and then grow and
multiply so quickly is because of these microbes.

Nutri-tech's website says:-
"Nutri-Life 4/20 is a potent blend of 20 species of soil-friendly bacteria
and 4 predatory fungi which devour and out-compete many pathogens. One of
these species Trichoderma is renowned for its capacity to control several
soil diseases including Fusarium, Pythium, Rhizoctonia, Armillaria and
Phytophthora. Available as dry granules that must be activated with water
and a food source and brewed in drums or tanks for 24 hours. Freshly brewed
microbes are far less expensive and far more effective than the pre-bottled,
liquid products."
For more info:-
http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/products/Nutri-Life.htm
When you buy this product you also buy a special food for them but I usually
add a half a cupful each of humic acid, molasses, and fish and seaweed.

This is the first time i have brewed them up in my super-duper CT maker so I
hope these little fellows didn't mind the increased bubbling and
circulating. At the end of the brew I added another couple of pints each of
humic acid, molasses, and fish, seaweed and fulvic acid. My luck was in
again. It was raining when I sprayed out the mixture late yesterday
afternoon so all the organisms should be happy in their new home. Winter is
approaching though, so I hope they will not die in the cold soil.

I have sent small packets of these microbes to the USA to some friends in
the daylily industry to combat diseased soils (their daylilies were dying
from fungal pathogens in the soil) and they have now seen a reduction in
their losses. Nutri-tech may have an agent in the USA or there may be
similar products available from ?? I think some are mentioned in Soilfoodweb
E-zine archives or maybe www.gardensalive.com ??

Since becoming a CT fanatic all areas of the farm receive diluted CT through
the irrigation system each month so the microbes in Nutri-life 4/20 will
soon have the company of billions of our indigenous organisms. I hope
they'll become one big happy family and my plants will benefit :-)).

Scott

  • [Compostteas] Another Microbe brew, Scott Alexander, 06/03/2002