compostteas - [Compostteas] Re: Compost teas - a little nervous

compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Compost Teas: 24 hour, EM, IM, BD & fermented plant extracts

  • From: Graeme Gerrard <ggerrard AT resonant.com.au>
  • To: compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Compostteas] Re: Compost teas - a little nervous
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:03:19 +1000

From: "D" <madhava AT fidalgo.net>
To: "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff AT gardener.com>, <eddington AT lvcm.com>,
<Compostteas AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [Compostteas] Some info re EM in response to D
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:22:08 -0700

I found Elaine's comment "The actinobacteria are really hard on the
beneficial fungi." very interesting.

Is it possible that by using compost tea that is not properly balanced we
could do more harm than good in the long run to our soilfoodweb.

From what Elaine said it sounds like people using EM could suffer from a
serious lack of beneficial fungi in the future.

Could CT's cause similar problems? If we don't have a balanced mix in the
tea or if the mix of organisms is thrown out of whack by filters and spray
equipment.

I look a the N-P-K situation. When people first started focusing on those
Nutrients they were having great results. Now, so many years later that
trip has turned into a nightmare.

I get nervous messing to much with mama nature and trying to do too much
adding or subtracting.

I'm a big fan of the idea of compost tea and plan on using it but at the
same time I'm a little nervous.....

I also have not tried it. I'd like to experiment with the BD compost preps - either making separate teas or brewing all the preps together. Has anyone tried this already? What results.

The whole thing seems very promising - but I also am "a little nervous" about the process. How does one ensure there is balance in what the brew produces - given the question raised about pathogens and Elaine's comment about actinobacteria.
It is just a thought, but the processes in making the BD compost preps and the time involved perhaps ensure that things don't go awry. Actually, anyone who has made the preps will know that they do - but then this is obvious by normal sense observation. With CT the very advantage of the speed with which the stuff is produced could mean that there is low certainty about the outcome.

What do others with significant experience think?

--
Graeme Gerrard
ggerrard AT resonant.com.au