community_studios - [Community_studios] [Fwd: Re: comments sought, please]

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: patrick Costello <stuff AT funkyseagull.com>
  • To: <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Community_studios] [Fwd: Re: comments sought, please]
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 13:39:44 -0400

> Here's a true success story.

Ran across this post by accident. Thought you might get a kick out of the
latest news.

My first book, The How and the Tao of Old Time Banjo was released online in
it's entirety under a Creative Commons license last week.
www.funkyseagull.com/book/tao.html

Admittedly, taking the jump and dropping a successful book into the internet
for free access was a bit scary but I have to admit that the initial
response in terms of sales was a pleasant surprise. Instead of hurting sales
giving away the information wound up being a better business move than a
high-dollar ad campaign.

In a few weeks I'll be going the same route with The How and the Tao of Folk
Guitar- and by early November I'll do a double launch with my upcoming book
and release it in stores and online on the same day.

Drop me a note now and then and I'll keep you up to date on how this is
going.

-Patrick
www.pik-ware.com