commons-research - Re: [Commons-research] Call for Papers - DRAFT VERSION

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "philipp schmidt" <phi.schmidt AT gmail.com>
  • To: commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Commons-research] Call for Papers - DRAFT VERSION
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:24:46 +0200

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Giorgos Cheliotis <giorgos AT smu.edu.sg> wrote:
Philipp, your suggestions are great.

First of all the names you are suggesting for possible chairs would complement very nicely a chair from law. Ideally I'd like to have one of these guys next to someone like Benkler or Zittrain as co-chairs. Why don't you probe Rishab and Paul David? You could forward the draft CFP to them, along with a link to this mailing list.

That would be a nice combination. I'll speak to Rishab.

Could someone who is based at Harvard also chime in here - how about von Hippel (just around the corner) or Lakhami?

With respect to sponsoring researchers with limited funds, this is also a great idea and once we have the CFP fixed we could go ahead with sending it to relevant organizations with an appropriate request.

As for the peer review, like you said, it might be more appropriate to have first a closed review process, and then all abstracts will be posted online anyhow (perhaps on an icommons node). We can also think about letting the broader community vote on those

That's not what i suggested. I propose we make the review process open - which means not just the abstracts, but the reviews are posted online (the reviewers can choose to remain anonymous or publish their comments under their own name). Others can also comment.

abstracts, but if they're already accepted, I doubt that there will be significant motivation to vote for them. Perhaps more appropriate would be to allow for comments to be written for each abstract, so that each abstract can potentially become a discussion thread.

Good idea. My concern with posting all abstracts was that the reviews might be quite harsh - and people might be concerned about their reputations. On the other hand, as long as we keep that in mind, and make sure that reviews are fair and constructive - maybe it's not such a big problem.

What do the rest of the people on this list think?

My impression is that Giorgios and I are somewhat talking past each other (not intentionally) and it would be great to get more opinions on the review process. Do we want "classic" style (closed peer review) or try something a bit more open and collaborative?

Best, P

I am also fine with the additional research topic you have proposed, it is anyhow close those already listed.