cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] Yet more name

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Chris Grigg <chris AT grigg.org>
  • To: ckelty AT rice.edu, cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] Yet more name
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:04:26 -0700

Christopher M. Kelty wrote:
...*But* if you put it in the license you hurt people who are trying fair
use cases that you don't even know about. When they plea with the
judge that their use is fair use, and the judge says "But there is a
CC license that lets you assert your use fair use! Why didn't you use
that? You must not have _really_ meant it at the time..." then you
have helped along the elimination of fair use as a federal right and
made it into a contractual agreement.

I like your spirit, but I don't understand this section. The sampling license is something a person puts on a work when it's released, telling others what the rights owner thinks is OK for people like samplers to do with it. It's not something a person like a sampler would claim entitles them to re-use a work that wasn't released under the sampling license in the first place. So it doesn't overlap with a typical copyright infringement lawsuit / fair use defense situation at all, does it?

-- C