cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] cop good cop bad

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: mark / negativland <markhosler AT charter.net>
  • To: creative commons license list <cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] cop good cop bad
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:54:17 -0700

At 12:45 PM +0100 9/20/03, David Berry wrote:
I think this is an excellent point!

David

On Saturday, September 20, 2003, at 12:39 PM, Don Joyce wrote:

There's no getting around the fact that the lawyers' first priority in writing law is courtroom convenience, not necessarily relating to the less than convenient way things actually work outside the courtroom.

Maybe all the lawyers on this list are feeling like we're ganging up on them? I hope not.

From a fuzzy emotional sort of perspective, I agree with Don's previuos comments about law and legalese. But...let me good cop to Dons bad cop...

......while I do think legalese can often be made more human readable, it also is a specific language needed at times to be very specific about very specific things ( so no one can sue you later on!). And using regular human words doesn't always do the trick! It just *doesn't*, no matter how much one thinks or wishes it would. Every specialized profession can have some amount of specialized language that really truly actually honest-to-god *is* needed to convey what it needs to convey and be able to do its job. The danger is when that secret language is used to exert power and control over others ( and charge 'em tons of dough") because us lay folk don't quite know what the hell the "experts" are really are saying. That's when it is being misused. And it often is. But that doesn't make it all bad.

your buddy,
Good Cop Mark

===

http://www.locarecords.com