cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] Yet more name

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Don Joyce <dj AT webbnet.com>
  • To: creative commons license list <cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] Yet more name
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:39:36 -0700

I brought this up earlier - that the license might acknowledge it's close relation to the fair use concept in general - but the lawyers are terribly afraid of associating this with "fair use."
Their reasons will sound good, (restrained by logic again!) but they are not, because we should, because this is not a license for lawyers.
Making this association is simply an excellent reference point for creators, and spreads the general concept of fair use in the arts, and that will serve us all much better in the end than fears of possible legal confusion in this license will.
There's no getting around the fact that the lawyers' first priority in writing law is courtroom convenience, not necessarily relating to the less than convenient way things actually work outside the courtroom.
DJ

How is what the sampling/c&p license would allow any different from what 17 USC section 107, Limitations on Exclusive Rights: Fair Use, allows? Just the attribution requirement, and the implied promise not to sue? Maybe the name should be something like 'Fair Use Encouraged'.

-- C