cc-metadata - Re: Fwd: Multiple encodings & ccvalidator

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Lucas Gonze <lgonze AT panix.com>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Multiple encodings & ccvalidator
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:47:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Sylvain ZIMMER wrote:

Sylvain ZIMMER wrote:
The musicbrainz thing doesn't seem like a solution to me because they
say
it's only 95% accuracy.

Are you thinking of TRM IDs, which asre based on matching acoustic
fingerprints? Those are used by certain MB tools to help identify
tracks, but a MB track id is a GUID (assigned big random number, not
content derived) and should be unique for a given track.

Oh yes, I believed that the MB track id was actually the TRM id. Sorry.

So can we end up on a way to put a random number or something unique in
the files, that can be shared by multiple files, and verified in the RDF
as a canonical URI ?

Yes, but only if the files are DRM'd. Otherwise users will do things like convert them to different formats, strip the tags, etc.

Can you talk more about your application requirements, Silvain?