cc-metadata - Re: Fwd: Multiple encodings & ccvalidator

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Sylvain ZIMMER" <sylvinus AT lynucs.org>
  • To: "discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work" <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Multiple encodings & ccvalidator
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:18:51 +0200 (CEST)

>> That
>> wouldn't be great at all... what if we want to encode on the fly (like
>> allofmp3.com), and we have tons of sha1's for only one track ?
>
> ...Another option could be to repeat dc:identifier properties for
> however many distinct files you have. I suspect I've mentioned this
> possibility in the past but haven't added the possibility to
> <http://creativecommons.org/technology/nonweb>.
>
> Example:
>
> <Work about="http://example.com/mysong.wav";>
> <license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/"/>
> <dc:identifier rdf:resource="urn:sha1:ABC..."/>
> <dc:identifier rdf:resource="urn:sha1:DEF..."/>
> </Work>
> Note that the example uses a URL for the <Work> and URNs for additional
> identifiers, but any URI could be used in either place, sort of -- if
> one wanted to be nitpicky, one would say that the above example is
> bogus, as mysong.wav isn't in fact identified by two different SHA1
> values. Perhaps the best practice would be to use some abstract,
> 'canonical' idenfier for the 'work' in <Work>.

Yeah I like this idea. I thing the "about" in the work tag should link to
a credit URL, not a download URL.
It's "Work", not "File". So an unique work can have multiple file
representations (encodings). We can even think of multiple sources for a
same file (bittorrent, HTTP, whatever)

The ideal would be something like :

<Work about="http://www.example.com/info.php?song=volcanolove";>
<license />
<File rdf:resource="urn:sha1:...">
<source protocol="http" url="http://www.example.com/..";>
<source protocol="http" url="http://ww2.example.com/...";>
<source protocol="ftp" url="ftp://www...";>
<encoding ... whatever>
</File>
<File rdf:resource="urn:sha1:...">
</File>
</Work>

This would require some additional parsing... Again, that's the ideal
world...

What can we do now that's close to this scheme ? (or something else, maybe
this scheme is bad, tell me ?). Solving the multiple encodings issue would
be great in the first time !

Big thanks in advance !!

Sylvain