cc-metadata - Re: Fwd: Multiple encodings & ccvalidator

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Multiple encodings & ccvalidator
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:44:57 -0700

Lucas Gonze wrote:
Three choices:
1) the about attribute has to refer to a canonical URI
2) the multiple dc:identifier items must be renamed as something like
cc:alternate.
3) there must be multiple Work elements.

I now think #3 is the way to go for multiple encodings in most cases.

However, it seems it should be valid to say

<Work about="http://example.com/mysong.wav";>
<license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/"/>
<dc:identifier rdf:resource="urn:sha1:ABC..."/>
<dc:identifier rdf:resource="urn:md5:ABC..."/>
<dc:identifier rdf:resource="http://musicbrainz.org/track/01529320-0c91-4110-9be9-63d6dbfb3998"/>
</Work>

This has nothing to do with multiple encodings, but it seems that apps ought to infer that a resource matching one of the ids specified in the dc:identifier properties above is licensed under cc-by-2.0.

The MusicBrainz id could serve as a canonical id that has an arbitrary number of encodings and attendant hashes, but I wouldn't want to require people to obtain a canonical id, as they have to do too much work already.