cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Revised ShareAlike Statement of Intent: comments open until 21 February

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gisle Hannemyr <gisle AT ifi.uio.no>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Revised ShareAlike Statement of Intent: comments open until 21 February
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:07:44 +0100

On 2014-02-13 21:00, Kat Walsh wrote:
There hasn't been much feedback or interest expressed on this--none
public, and only a small amount from those we've spoken to outside the
lists.

I did read through the material but didn't comment because I regarded
none of the nine points as as uncontroversial.

> We're hesitant to make a public commitment to our license
community, particularly on points where there may be dispute or where
clarification is needed, if there isn't interest and participation. We
did receive some internal input that it would perhaps be better
reworked as something not specific to the ShareAlike licenses and
compatibility, but rather to our versioning process in general, and we
are considering that as a better option.

If this statement isn't accomplishing its intended goals in its
current form, or at least not as a part of working toward license
compatibility with licenses outside the CC suite, we think the best
option is to put this aside to be reworked in the future as something
more general. However, this decision is not yet final, and we welcome
feedback on both the statement itself and CC's course of action.

It is probably a good idea to rework this into a more general statement
covering the versioning process and license compatibility. It may be
confusing to the general public if there are to be multiple statements
of intent (each covering different license clause or license).

While SA is particular important because it propagates into downstream
adaptaions and remixes, statements of intent regarding versioning
listed should (IMHO) apply to versioning of all six licenses.

"Don't follow leaders // Watch the parkin' meters" - Bob Dylan