cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: pcreso AT pcreso.com
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 15:54:06 -0800 (PST)

I don't want to be paying the fees for the lawyers arguing over modified vs derived works. If some domains it may be clearer than others, a medley including a song is presueably derived but not modified. But with CC 4 intended to be "data friendly", it is difficult to distinguish between derived & modified when it comes to data & datasets. Is a spreadsheet with the sequence of columns or order of record derived or modified? As a functional dataset, there is no difference in content, despite the changes... sort of like changing page numbers in a published book.

Any wording needs to work across ALL the domains that CC licences are used.

Brent Wood