cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alex Gakuru <gakuru AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:17:30 +0300

Greetings,

I am concerned by the plausible effect of “Commercial Rights Reserved“ potential of sending legacy copyright‘s chilling effect?

Borne of the need to protect the otherwise ‘grey‘ innovation space enjoyed under the current licences categorizations.

Thank you.

Season‘s Best Wishes.

Alex

--sent from a handheld-- excuse brevity and any typos--

On Dec 11, 2012 6:05 PM, "Anthony" <osm AT inbox.org> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Valentin Villenave
<valentin AT villenave.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca> wrote:
>> Thank you very much for asking about this. I am strongly opposed to changing "noncommercial" to "commercial rights reserved". The noncommercial element is often used by creators who are not primarily in the commercial realm, and "commercial rights reserved" is not necessarily what people mean by "noncommercial".
>
> It may not be what they *mean*, but it is what they actually *do* by
> choosing these licenses.

How so?  Just because the license in some cases allows commercial use,
that doesn't mean the authors who choose the license are engaging in
commercial use.

> "Commercial Rights Reserved" is (in my humble opinion) _exactly_ what
> is needed to make -ND clearer and, dare I say, more honest. So, a
> strong yay on my end.

So what about -NC-SA?