cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Commercial Rights Reserved
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 19:00:30 -0500

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro AT gmail.com> wrote:
> This may be an oversimplification, but looking at this from the
> vantage point of a largely disinterested observer; it does appear
> the problem is that there is a difference between:
>
> "I and only I can exploit this resource for a closely defined purpose,
> no one else may do so, or allow others to do so."
>
> ...and...
>
> "I declare I will not, nor will allow anyone to allow anyone, in
> perpetuity, to exploit this resource for the closely defined
> purposes which I define."

But the license says neither. The license says "you are free to copy,
distribute and transmit the work so long as you attribute the authors
and don't do so for commercial purposes".

That's perhaps closer to 1 than to 2 if you are the original author,
but in terms of someone creating a derivative under CC-NC-SA, it's
closer to 2 than to 1.