cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0 NonCommercial

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam AT benfinney.id.au>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0 NonCommercial
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:06:30 +1100

Kerrick Long <me AT kerricklong.com> writes:

> I'm sorry to break it to you, but the only reason many people use
> CC-NC is *because* it is so conservative.

Thank you for bringing this opinion.

> I do *not* want a blog running advertisements to use [my work], nor do
> I want a non-profit organization with a budget for other things using
> it, nor do I want it to expire and automatically be transferred into a
> CC-BY-SA license

Why not? You imply that the following continues the thought:

> if money is being made by using my work, or a budget could be
> allocated to pay for its usage, I want to earn a living

But this is a non sequitur. People can and do make a living *and* make
their work available under CC BY-SA and CC-BY.

So, other than wanting to make a living, what are your reasons for
wanting to prevent the above actions?

> I joined this mailing list because I wanted to introduce what
> real-world content creators who make their living producing creative
> works think into this discussion. I can tell from what I've been
> receiving that very few of you put bread on the table and a roof over
> your head by creating content,

You're quite wrong on that score.

> because many of you seem to be *completely opposed* to enabling
> anybody to make money with works licensed under any CC license.

No, exactly the opposite: I want to *enable* people to make money with
the works I license, that's why I don't put a non-commercial clause on
them.

I make more money because more potential customers know of me, and
that's because more people distribute my work (charging a fee if they
want to), spreading it further than I can alone.

You have made the common leap from “recipients can use my work for
commercial purposes” to “I can't make a living”. There are many people
for whom that is not true, so you need to examine what is preventing you
from making a living with free works.

--
\ “It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one |
`\ trifling exception, is composed of others.” —John Andrew Holmes |