cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] DRM
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:34:38 +0000

On 21/01/12 01:41, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Friday 13 January 2012 15:22:55 Kent Mewhort wrote:
>> (of course, it
>> is always open for the original author to only distribute TPM'd versions in
>> the first place, but in this case I don't see why such an author would even
>> release under CC at all).
>
> Well, one reason is for the positive buzz without the correspondent
> contribution.
>
> On the whole though I see you main point re BY-SA versus the others.

DRM should be forbidden on *unmodified* work under non-SA licenses.

This is because otherwise the freedom that the license grants to receive
and use them, and in the case of non-ND licenses the power that they
give you to remove the freedom of others, is effectively removed.

BY derivatives should not be bound by the anti-DRM clause. But on that
basis should CC-BY-NC derivatives have to be NC? ;-)

- Rob.