cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0 NonCommercial

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam AT benfinney.id.au>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0 NonCommercial
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:47:10 +1100

Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn AT gmail.com>
writes:

> A non-profit license would be nice, but a serious question: Can anyone
> come up with a globally applicable definition of non-profit?

I have another serious question: Why is a non-profit license nice? It's
not obvious to me, and it doesn't fit with the ideals of free culture as
I understand them.

Why should it matter whether culture, freely shared to all recipients
under non-discriminatory terms and permitting further sharing the same
way, is making a profit? That strikes me as something to be celebrated,
rather than denied through a license clause.

--
\ “Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who |
`\ speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.” —Ambrose |