cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 10:02:47 -0500

On Wednesday 04 January 2012 07:46:52 Ben Finney wrote:
> Francesco Poli <invernomuto AT paranoici.org>
>
> writes:
> > On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 16:51:52 -0500 drew Roberts wrote:
> > > 'If the work can properly be considered code,
> >
> > I think that this sentence is meaningless: everything (that may be
> > processed by a computer) is code.
> > Hence, if we are speaking about a digitally represented work, we are
> > speaking about code.
>
> I would agree if the term is “software”: all digital information is
> software (as opposed to the hardware that contains it).
>
> I think by “code”, though, Drew means “program code”.
>
> Drew, would it be fair to re-state that clause as “If the work can
> properly be considered a program”?

Sure. Code rather than data. I know you can have data driven programming but
am looking for a solution and discussion with others looking for a similar
solution might be helpful.

> If so, then I don't understand why that distinction is important. Why
> should we support dividing up the freedoms in a work depending on
> whether the recipient can use it as a program?

If we could nail down "source" requirements for non-code, there would be less
of a need to make this distinction.

> Do recipients of non-program works deserve fewer freedoms?

In my mind, they do not deserve fewer freedoms. But in the mind of the folks
behind the GPL, they do deserve fewer freedoms. (To use that terminology.)
So, I don't want any of my non-code works to fall under their licensing
control as I do not trust them to be concerned about preserving those same
freedoms for my non code as they intend to preserve for my code.

(I admit that I might be a bit off my rocker putting my non-code under a cc
BY-SA license when cc don't take a stand on Freedom for non-code (nor for
code unless I missed something.)