cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] DRAFT Creative Commons Statement of Intent for Attribution-ShareAlike Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Development of Creative Commons licenses" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] DRAFT Creative Commons Statement of Intent for Attribution-ShareAlike Licenses
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:18:34 -0700

Bundled replies below. Also, FWIW, see related threads at
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2008-April/thread.html#40908

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Kat Walsh <kat AT wikimedia.org> wrote:
> First thought in response: this is great to see, Mike; thanks.
>
> I'm particularly happy to see the explicit commitment to the freedoms
> in the Free Cultural Works definition, the consideration of
> compatibility with works keeping the same freedoms, and the regard for
> the expectations of the usersof the licenses and the licensed works.
>
> (Not that I may not pick nits later, but I like what this is trying to do.)

I really appeciate that, and welcome picking of nits...

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:55 AM, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2008 00:54:19 Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> > > Free Cultural License set out in the Definition of Free Cultural Works
> > > AND ALSO HAVE COPYLEFT PROVISIONS).
> > >
> > > Also add the "AND ALSO HAVE COPYLEFT PROVISIONS" to 4.
> >
> > That's what "protect the same essential freedoms for all users" means.
>
> I know that, I was including it after the "to be clear" bit again for
> purposes
> of clarity...
>
> Does it need to be / would it help if it were... there for that reason?

I think it would be redundant, especially since the paragraph includes
before the quoted bit "enable compatibility between
Attribution-ShareAlike licenses and other *copyleft* content licenses"

(emphasis added)

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Terry Hancock
<hancock AT anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
> Brianna Laugher wrote:
> > I like it a lot.
> > The only comment that I can think of is that for
> >
> > "# Promote and explain the licenses and associated tools. "
> >
> > You may want to use the word "educate" or "education" somewhere, as I
> > think that is an important responsibility of being a good steward.
>
> I'd have to agree with that. "Promote" implies a one-sided explanation.
>
> To "educate" is to put the truth above your agenda, and tell the
> drawbacks of your licenses are as well as their benefits.
>
> No one can promise to give a fully neutral presentation of something
> they have themselves produced, but as an organizational goal, it's more
> honest.

Which is more honest? :) Maybe you meant "more noble."

In any case, point taken. The nice thing about "Promote and explain
the licenses and associated tools" (apart from its honesty) is that it
doesn't need to specify a target. "Educate the world about the
licenses and associated tools" sounds kind of corny to me and "Provide
education about the licenses and associated tools" sounds too specific
to me, possibly implying classes or similar.

Suggestions for a specific sentence that make the spirit of Brianna's
and Terry's feedback concrete and not as lame as my attempts above
very welcome.

Mike