cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] DRAFT Creative Commons Statement of Intent for Attribution-ShareAlike Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] DRAFT Creative Commons Statement of Intent for Attribution-ShareAlike Licenses
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 07:55:56 -0400

On Monday 07 April 2008 00:54:19 Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:41 AM, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > Beautiful and thanks Mike and others involved so far.
>
> Thanks. ;)
>
> > The freedom to redistribute copies
> > The freedom to distribute derivative works
> >
> > Should this be:
> >
> > The freedom to redistribute copies including modified copies
> > The freedom to distribute derivative works
> >
> > or:
> >
> > The freedom to redistribute copies
> > The freedom to distribute derivative works or modified copies
> >
> > Probably the first and just to be clear that you can distribute with
> > changes even where those changes are not extensive enough to constitute a
> > new work...
>
> I thought I copied directly from freedomdefined.org, but I guess not.
> I updated the four freedoms with the exact text currently used by
> fd.o.

I didn't read their text, and until I got into discussing things copyright on
lists, I would have never thought of this, but I think I may have learned a
thing or two over the years.

Copies may naturally incluse unmodifed and modified copies, but it might be a
bit more safe to be clear.

I willl check the new wording and respond.

> > 2) All versions and ports of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
> > Free Cultural License set out in the Definition of Free Cultural Works
> > AND ALSO HAVE COPYLEFT PROVISIONS).
> >
> > Also add the "AND ALSO HAVE COPYLEFT PROVISIONS" to 4.
>
> That's what "protect the same essential freedoms for all users" means.

I know that, I was including it after the "to be clear" bit again for
purposes
of clarity...

Does it need to be / would it help if it were... there for that reason?