cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] DRAFT Creative Commons Statement of Intent for Attribution-ShareAlike Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] DRAFT Creative Commons Statement of Intent for Attribution-ShareAlike Licenses
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 08:41:04 -0400

On Friday 04 April 2008 22:09:34 Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> Comments and criticism welcome. See
> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/8186 for an introduction and
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Draft_Attribution-ShareAlike_Intent
> for the draft.
>
> Note I'm sending to this moderated list for the development of CC
> licenses because development of this statement is directly relevant to
> the future development of CC licenses, and I want people from outside
> the immediate CC community to weigh in, some of them subscribed to
> this list with the assurance that is is moderated and low-volume,
> unlike cc-community.
>
> Of course discussion that veers from the above will be redirected to
> cc-community.

Beautiful and thanks Mike and others involved so far.

I will try and jump right in. I may not have too much time this month as I am
in another scriptfrenzy - I have got to stop or control this. NaNoWriMo,
ScriptFrenzy and now this year RPM Challenge as well.

The freedom to redistribute copies
The freedom to distribute derivative works

Should this be:

The freedom to redistribute copies including modified copies
The freedom to distribute derivative works

or:

The freedom to redistribute copies
The freedom to distribute derivative works or modified copies

Probably the first and just to be clear that you can distribute with changes
even where those changes are not extensive enough to constitute a new work...

2) All versions and ports of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike licenses
MUST protect the freedom of all users by requiring that when an adaptation of
a work distributed under an Attribution-ShareAlike license is distributed,
the adaptation must be distributed under the same license, or a license
deemed by Creative Commons to grant and protect the same essential freedoms
for all users in a compatible fashion (to be clear, such a compatible license
must also satisfy the definition of a Free Cultural License set out in the
Definition of Free Cultural Works AND ALSO HAVE COPYLEFT PROVISIONS).

Also add the "AND ALSO HAVE COPYLEFT PROVISIONS" to 4.