cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:59:18 -0500

Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
<quote who="Terry Hancock" date="Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:19:47PM -0600">
I think this is wrong-headed. The safest choice is to leave things as
they are. It is always possible to introduce a TPM+PD exception in the
future, if it becomes clear that one is needed.

OTOH, there is no way to take it back, once it's done.

Furthermore, it applies retro-actively to currently licensed works!

So there are significant grounds to adopt a conservative attitude.

I think I agree with your prescription but for different reasons.
While, unlike you, I'm not ready to declare consensus, it seems obvious
that the issue is highly contested. In that light, it seem both
inappropriate and unlikely to change from the status quo.

I agree. I would prefer a parallel distribution clause, but given the present state of the discussion, holding the issue over and leaving the licenses unchanged for now would be appropriate.

James