cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:03:53 -0500

<quote who="Terry Hancock" date="Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:19:12PM -0600">
> Nic Suzor wrote:
> > On the other hand, there are many commercial systems like the
> > PlayStation or the XBox, where I would love to see an independent
> > developer use CC-licensed works and free software to create a
> > release title, and then raise some funding to obtain the
> > certification required to release.
>
> AFAIK, it is possible to do this now, without any changes to the
> license terms, and you do not need to pay for certification. It just
> needs to run without the proprietary support libraries (e.g. using the
> Linux ports to those platforms), and of course, you probably can't use
> the trademarked certification marks from the company.

The Linux ports to the machines mentioned above require modifying the
machines. To modify a modern PSP to play "home brew" you need to find
version of a game with an exploitable bug, overflow a buffer, downgrade
firmware and more. Other machines have, at least in recent history,
required soldering.

Easier said than done I suppose.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako AT atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS