cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: nic AT suzor.com, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:39:44 -0500

On Monday 04 December 2006 09:18 pm, Nic Suzor wrote:
> On 12/5/06, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > Clear.
> >
> > And are you aware of any systems that are like this now? Ones that your
> > mother and grandfather have?
>
> I have no examples of pure readers which currently do this. I suspect
> that there may be some ebook readers which require formats which are
> technically not free to apply, but I don't have any direct experience.
> I would hope that the reason I don't know any of these systems is
> because nobody would buy one, but I think that would be
> overly-optimistic.
>
> On the other hand, there are many commercial systems like the
> PlayStation or the XBox, where I would love to see an independent
> developer use CC-licensed works and free software to create a release
> title, and then raise some funding to obtain the certification
> required to release.

So, you know for a fact that non-DRM games cannot play on these systems? I am
ignorant in this area. Would Sony grant a Free certification or whatever for
copyleft works?

They can always contact me an make a deal. Or use your stuff, you can grant
an
exception. Somehow I am sure.

> I hope that the lack of worst-case examples is not seen to negative
> the need for a PD clause. The worst-case scenario that you are forced
> to pay to access your own work on a locked platform is the extreme
> side of the argument against PD, and I am saying that I would be
> prepared to accept a licence which allowed that,

I wouldn't, but I would be OK with a PD requirement being added to the
current
proposal. And I would be OK with my previous attempt at a compromise
proposal.

> as long as my content
> (plus improvements) were also available in cleartext.

My content and improvements (or mess ups) must indeed be available in the
clear for me to be happy.

--
(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month