cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 15:35:24 -0500

On Saturday 02 December 2006 02:46 pm, James Grimmelmann wrote:
> The legal restriction is relevant at all times, not just for the initial
> broadcast.
>
> Dave has an FCC license for channel 7 in a particular area.  He
> broadcasts a CC-SA work.  He states that if Alice creates a derivative
> work, he will allow Alice to broadcast it on channel 7 at a later date.
>   He does not make the same offer to Alice.  What do you see as the
> relevant difference between this case and the DRM case?

Yes, and the owner of a popular nightclub could allow certain acts to play
original and derived BY-SA works in his nightclub, and deny other bands the
same opportunities. So I guess you might tell Greg that this nightclub
platform monopoly is functionally equivalent to the platform monopoly he
posits?

One thing I will warn all of is is that copyright law is not clean. it is
dirty and does not necessarily make sense. We have to deal with it as we find
it until we can improve it.

Do you really think that these examples you are putting forward are
equivalent
to the blessed only DRM platforms that concern some of us greatly, or are you
just trying on some reduction ad absurdum arguments?

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
Sayings (Winner 2006)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/262954