cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC:BY ... lost in translation?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC:BY ... lost in translation?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:46:35 -0500

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 09:42 am, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-15-11 at 07:26 -0500, Michael Tiemann wrote:
> > If there is somewhere in the law that makes it clear that the licensor
> > cannot
>
> ^^^
>
> > require the licensee to include a logo or a linkback, [...]
>
> If the licensor is using a Creative Commons license, they cannot require
> a logo or linkback. The license is quite specific in terms of what the
> attribution requirements are.

I think he was talking about a legal definition of attribution which someone
had said was legally limited. I think he was asking where in copyright law
was attribution defined in such a way as to limit things as the poster had
suggested.

Corrections welcome. Brain has not been at 100% lately due to sickness and
who
knows what.

> However, US copyright law and other applicable laws don't have the same
> limitations. Don't extrapolate the restricted scope of CC licenses to be
> some kind of restriction on copyright agreements or licenses in general.
>
> > [...] I've got a very
> > strong case to present to some folks who think that's a legitimate form
> > of attribution.
>
> No, you have the say-so of a couple of people from a mailing list. If
> you need a strong case, you should hire an attorney.
>
> -Evan

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
http://www.nanowrimo.org/index.php
Join me and write a novel in 30 days! Dont delay!