cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC:BY ... lost in translation?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC:BY ... lost in translation?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:51:16 -0600

Evan Prodromou wrote:
> Attribution. You must credit the author or organization by name; note
> the title of the work; and give the URI and/or text of any copyright
> notices. If you change the work, you must note the changes.

FWIW, this already seems too detailed for the deed, to me.

The language as it is currently written makes sense to me, and I find
Michael Tiemann's edge case a remarkable stretch: would anyone actually
believe the license can allow such a complex act to be required for
"attribution"? The word "attribution" does, in fact, have a fairly
specific definition:

"1. The act of attributing or ascribing, as a quality, character, or
function, to a thing or person, an effect to a cause." (GCIDE)

which, by itself, rules out such bizarre requirements, IMHO.

AFAICT, "in the manner specified" is going to be limited by common sense
to some kind of name or URI. And we're allowed to rely on common sense
in the deed. If you want to read legal nitpicks, there's a whole long
document explaining it all in fine detail.

OTOH, it is true that "manner" is possibly being overused here. Maybe
"of the form specified" or "using the specified format" would evoke a
more correct understanding?

Cheers,
Terry