cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:54:35 +0100

Quoting drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>:

On Friday 29 September 2006 06:58 am, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
Quoting Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>:
> I think the fact that GPLv3 would be as prohibitive as the proposed
> CC-By-SA-3 language is interesting, and pretty important from Debian's
> PoV.

I do not beliebve that this is the case. GPL-3 allows you to use or write
DRM. You just cannot prevent people removing it or creating replacements.

One solution for CC and Debian, based on the Scottish license language that
MJ Ray has mentioned, would be for CC to allow only ineffective DRM to be
applied.
This would be DRM where blanket permission to circumvent has been given
*by the
DRM vendor*, as is included in the GPL-3.

Could this not also be accomplished by blanket permission to apply tied with
parallel distribution?

I do not believe so. You do not have an equivalent permission to remove the DRM,
and availability of the non-DRM work is not guaranteed. It will look OK at the
point of initial distribution, but it will create increasing problems for
redistributors and remixers.

For all the game and media systems we have been discussing (and I apologise for
my relapse about the iPod a while back), DRM is added by Greg's single vendor
so permission to add DRM does not really empower end users.

- Rob.