cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:50:55 +0100

drew Roberts wrote:
On Wednesday 27 September 2006 06:22 pm, Rob Myers wrote:
drew Roberts wrote:
I won't but an ipod as they don't play oggs. I don't want to buy a
premium player and have to keep encumbered files on it.
Try rockbox: http://www.rockbox.org/ . It runs on most iPods as well as
many other music players and can handle ogg.

Thanks for the suggestion, but what will that do to the warrenty?

I have no idea. :-) My old iPod is out of warranty. You can always restore the original Apple software on the iPod.

And in fact for most of the devices we've discussed in the context of
DRM there's a GNU/Linux distro available.

And for how long? See the discussions around the draft of the new GPL for more to chew on in this area. (If you are not following them at all.)

I'm following them closely. You can implement DRM in GPL-3 licensed software and you can use GPL-3 licensed software on a DRM/TP-laden system. You just have to allow people to circumvent the DRM and to allow them to sign their own binaries for the system. This does not affect anyone's ability to experiment with whatever hardware platform they like, in fact it protects it.

- Rob.