cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:31:11 -0400

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 08:26 pm, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-27-09 at 18:08 -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> > > In a parallel distribution scenario, that effect is negated. If an
> > > unencumbered version is made available, then there is no "imposition"
> > > of anything. The other people still have the freedom to share, modify,
> > > and experiment.
> >
> > And when all the players only play DRM files? What then?
>
> Well, in a parallel distribution scenario, at least we'd be able to
> listen to CC-licensed music on those players. With the current anti-DRM
> clause, we wouldn't be able to.

Well, I think perhaps you are thinking of whre things are now and some of us
may be thinking of whre they might go.

For instance, when all the makers only put the music they want on their DRM
only players. We then won't be able to put CC music on the players anyway.
They may, but not the creators.

> Do you really think that the fortunes of DRM-required systems are going
> to rise and fall depending on the availability of CC-licensed works on
> those platforms?

No, but I don't think much of CC-licensed works in general to begin with.
Now,
BY and BY-SA works I think have some long temr possibilities to make a hugh
difference, but I don't see CC pusing those options. If anything, lots of the
"big splash" announcements and such have the NC option in the middle which I
personally think is bogus and not going to do much for Free Culture/Art in
the long run.

> The evidence is pretty strongly against that. The
> distribution of DRM-encumbered works is far outstripping the
> distribution of CC works.

I think that this is largely becuase most CC works have NC and thus lack some
of the best advantages CC has to offer. I don't know any proper way to fix
this fast, but that is my take none the less.

> DRM vendors aren't crying because CC works can't be ported to their
> systems. Apple doesn't give a flying fox if they can't sell CC music in
> the iTunes store.

No, and they will not care until there is enough of it that can't be on their
player that it impacts their bottom line. However, since to my knowledge, the
ipod will play mp3 files, Apple is a bad example in the DRM area.

> The only value in keeping CC-licensed works off of
> DRM-required systems is to make an empty philosophical statement that's
> being largely ignored by decision-makers,

How many years was the GPL in existance before any of the big boys took any
notice and before there was any buzz around it? And the GPL was copyleft from
the break. No NC options there to muddy the issue.

> at the expense of people on
> our side who could be winning converts by going into "DRM land" and
> sharing music and software with them. It is shooting ourselves in the
> foot.

See, I think this is a mistake, thinking that all people interested in CC
licenses for their work are even on the same side. We are not. This is a
natural consequence on how broad CC has chosen to be. Well, it may be a
natural consequence of life itself, but CC's broadness certainly makes it
plain and certain.

Even when it comes to the GPL and software, not everyone is on the same side.
One of thi things I have always found admirable about the GPL though is how
it can get people on different sides to work together for the benefit of all.
I think that as it stands now, CC lacks this key benefit. (And I say all this
without intending to "bash" CC.)

> > > Parallel distribution is not an acceptance of the DRM view of the
> > > world. It's a _subversion_ of it.
> >
> > This I don't buy. It is an acceptance in my view. Now, if, pragmatically,
> > it is a worthwhile acceptance for the short term to obtain a better goal
> > in the long term is a different matter.
>
> It overloads an ugly, restrictive system in order to generously share
> art, music, and entertainment with our neighbours. That is a subversion
> of the selfish, greedy core values of DRM systems.

For as long as the DRM system owners allow it. Does anyone think they intend
to stop there? That is one of the key concerns I have and I htink others may
share.

> ~Evan

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145