cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:38:51 -0400

On Saturday 23 September 2006 11:23 am, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> Greg, there's some truth to your market/community distinction, but
> preventing forks is not the point of anti-TPM language. TPM applied by
> a third party can restrict a licensee's rights that a licensor intended
> in the case of any CC license. TPM can potentially (in TPM imaginary
> world anyway) prevent forks -- by preventing derivative works!
>
> Besides, removing the anti-TPM language from everything *except* BY-SA
> would satisfy almost nobody (except you :) as BY-SA is one of two
> licenses Debian could potentially approve and they have a problem with
> the anti-TPM language. If there was a case for removing anti-TPM
> language from only some licenses it would make most sense to do nearly
> the opposite of what you propose (remove only from "community"
> licenses)!

I am not so sure about that. I mean, if I put up a work BY, presumably, I do
not mind if someone makes an "all rights reserved" derivative. Why would I
care if they then put that derivative under TPM (DRM?) restrictions?
Practically speaking?

Apply this logic to each license combo and comment if you wish.

The Debian issue is possibly a different angle.

--
(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261