cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] After Disney or: Help Robot George Get A Life

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Lars Porsena" <larsporsena AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] After Disney or: Help Robot George Get A Life
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:32:39 +0100

Except I thought the requirements included
holding exclusive commercial rights to the
"Organization", and granting the community only
NonCommercial rights.

yes, that is correct. I think Rob was making a plea for
leaky buckets :)

BTW, I like the Magnatune model a lot though, great idea:
non-exclusive use, 50% split followed by CC-BY-SA-NC
opens the party up a lot more to individual creators.

Even better in this case, where use is non-exclusive it effectively
forces (always good) the Org to be all the things it should/could:
eg a solid citizen, effective brand, promoter of talent.

I'm strongly tempted by this.

It's a pity Magnatune is obviously wildly unsuccessful: do we draw
any conclusions here?

Or: is anybody else using CC licenses at the heart of a business model
and actually making a go of it? A flip round the CC website suggests not.

Thanks,

Lars