cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] After Disney or: Help Robot George Get A Life

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] After Disney or: Help Robot George Get A Life
  • Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 16:06:03 +0200

Lars Porsena skrev:

I was thinking for me by-nc-sa, but there's no (?) provision for me to
make a buck or two here by cherrypicking the best derivatives for
commercial ends.

While one initially might be tempted to suggest a private deal with those artist who comes up with good derivatives, there is a catch. There might be a chain of derivatives - and all artists in such a chain would need to agree to your private deal, which would undo the practical and administrative gains of using a CC-license. Only direct derivatives of works for which _you_ are the copyright holder could easily be handled by a private deal. So I would suggest the CC-BY-SA license. That would allow you (and anyone else) to make money out of derivative works based on "Robot George".

That or write your own license...

/Peter Brink